Bring the sense of excitement, the extraordinary, the peculiar and the unique to your wedding theme a la The Greatest Showman. Be bold, inventive and never be afraid of being different, and capture the insatiable show-biz spirit of PT Barnum using these 25 brilliant Greatest Showman inspired images as your springboard to creating an all singing, all dancing theatrical wedding theme to trump all others.
Transform your venue into a theatrical experience with theatrical drapes light from behind with fairylights, hang vintage circus posters from the walls, roll out the red carpets, and spotlight tables with rainbow lighting. Use ostrich feathers as wedding table centrepieces, serve drinks in crimson glassware, eat with gold coloured cutlery from gold coloured plates. Suspend golden hoops from the ceiling at varying heights in homage trapeze artists, hang gilt-mirrors in a chill-out area, set up moving robe spotlights, platforms for dancing and hire a vintage theatre-style photo booth.
What to Wear
Continue The Greatest Showman wedding theme into your own style, and that of your guests. We love Hugh Jackman’s velvet showman’s coat, matched with a white, high collar dress shirt, white cravat and fitted waistcoat in cream or red, and Zac Effron’s cream braces and bow tie, worn with blue or black trousers. Accessorise with a cane. And for brides, go all out. Celebrate the top hat and slick tailored suiting, or steal the show in sequins, corsets, feathers and pastel pinks inspired by Zendaya’s character, the trapeze artists Anne Wheeler.
PT Barnum’s shows showcased the out there and the incredible; some called it a freak show, others embraced it. You don’t have to blow your budget to hire an imaginative entertainment act – an aerial act alone will wow your guests, but if you can afford more, why not include a living table to serve canapes or champagne from, some aerial acrobats, fire acrobats circus or living trees. Set your playlist to loud and proud showman tunes and you’ll create a wedding no one will ever, ever forget.
Have fun with your stationery: use vintage circus backdrops to frame your invitations and wedding menus, send guests an admission ticket, display images of vintage acts as table seating cards, and a ‘which sideshow do you belong to’ wedding ceremony seating organiser.
1) Vintage Circus style wedding menu, via Pinterest
2) Living trees, via warble-entertainment.com
3) Take your side sign, via Pinterest
4) Vintage circus murals, via Pinterest
5) Greatest Show on Earth wedding stationery, via Pinterest
6) Greatest Showman style wedding cake, via EventDazzle
7) Pastel and gold theatrical wedding cake, via Pinterest
8) Pastel coloured cupcakes topped with with an edible paper Greatest Showman card, via Hugh Jackman Twitter
9) Chandelier champagne bar tender, via Candi Entertainment
10) Popcorn buffet with sauces, via ashleyscreativecatering.com
11) Feather shrug, via Pinterest
12) Wispy pink up do, via Pinterest
13) Tophat wearing bride, image by Lauren McConnell
14) Pink dress, black hat bride holding white balloon, image by Lauren McConnell
15) Pink heels with gold detailing, via Pinterest
16) Gold tipped shoes by Alexander McQueen via Pinterest
17) Tall Top Hat from christys-hats.com
18) Slim Fit Burgundy Velvet Jacket by Noose Monkey, at dobell.co.uk
19) Braces by Moss Bros
20) High Collar shirt with cravat, via Pinterest
21) Moroccan lamp, via moroccandecor.co.uk
22) Rainbow-lit tables, via Pinterest
23) Moving spotlights, via Pinterest
24) Vintage circus lights and mirrors, via Pinterest
25) Ostrich feather centrepieces, via thefeathergirl.com
Find out how to create atmospheric wedding lighting at your reception.