Style-stealing. Everyone does it; and when it comes to your wedding day, you’ll want style that’s been tried and tested before; that’s why we’ve plugged into the past and pulled together some of the last century’s sassiest eras for your style-stealing pleasure. Let’s kick things off with a bang with some stunning Art Deco wedding theme ideas inspired by the roaring twenties: glamour, excess, and sparkle – what’s not to love?!
Dresses & Suits
Gatsby, cocktails and decadence aside, the ’20s are probably best known for its fashion. Dropped waist dresses with capped sleeves, lace and embroidery for the girls, and form-fitting three-piece suits with bow ties and bowlers for the boys. And accessorise heavily – as long as you’re being excessive you’re doing it right.
Food & Drink
There was one standout movement from the ’20s that encompassed art, architecture, typography… and that was Art Deco. So use this as inspiration for your wedding cake – geometric patterns in sophisticated palettes of monochrome and golds and bronze – it will look almost too good to cut into. And don’t forget – no 1920s wedding would be complete without a champagne tower!
A big signifier of the 1920s are fonts such as Grenadier and Coventry Garden, so don’t miss a trick: incorporate them into your wedding in everything from the invitations to the order of service to the seating plan. Stick to a monochrome colour palette, flush it with gold (gold spray will be your new best friend) and bronze accents – and remember: excess, excess, excess!
1. Cake, sheerluxe.com
2. Cake, thedailymeal.com
3. Champagne Tower, nobusue flickr.com
4. Cake, cakewhisperer.ca
5. Cake, 100layercake.com
6. Invitation, chrismilnerphotography.com
7. Order of Ceremony, aliciapyne.com
8. Photo Booth, tarahcoonan.com
9. Cigar Bar, paigejones.us
10. Invitation, etsy
11. Mirror, annahardy.co.uk
12. Decor, patmoyerweddings.com
13. Car, patmoyerweddings.com
14. Decor, blog.inkspotphotography.com
15. Decor, jaycwinter.com
16. Bride, alowcountrywed.com
17. Bride, elizajanehowell.com
18. Bride, wedding.sandraaberg.com
19. Bride, sarahkatephoto.com
20. Brides, chic-dresses.com
21. Groom, vintagehandbook.wordpress.com
22. Grooms, eclection-photography.com
23. Groom, martellcampbell.com
24. Bridesmaid, stylemepretty.com
25. Bridesmaids, blog.bonton.com